116. puRambuNdAna paRRukkaLaiyadaiya vASanaiyOdE veedukaiyum, emperumAnaiyE thanjamenRu paRRukaiyum, pERu thappAthenRu thuNinthirukkaiyum, pERRukku thvarikkaiyum, irukkum nAL ugantharuLina nilangkaLilE pravaNanAy guNAnubava kainkaryangkaLE pOthupOkkAgaiyum, ippadiyirukkum srivaishNavarakAL ERRamaRinthu uganthirukkaiyum, thirumanthraththilum thvayaththilum niyathanAgaiyum, AcArya prEmam ganaththirukkaiyum, AcAryan pakkalilum emperumAn pakkalilum kruthagnyanAyp pOrugaiyum, nyAnamum virakthiyum sAnthiyum udaiyanAyirukkum paramaSAthvikanOdE SahavASam paNNugaiyum vaishNavAthikArikku avasyAbEkshitham.
The following things should be done by Srivaishnavas:
1. Giving up attachments to everything except Lord Sriman Narayana, to the core such that they never come back;
2. seeking only Him as the refuge and not anything else;
3. having complete faith that moksha is assured;
4. being restless for that deliverance instead of resting with the thought that it will happen someday;
5. while in this world, having great interest in the divya desams and spending time in enjoying His divine qualities and in His service;
6. enjoying the greatness of those Srivaishnavas who have the qualities described above;
7. focusing on the Thirumantra, and the Dvaya mantra which explains the Thirumantra;
8. having great love for the acharya who causes all of the above to happen to one's self;
9. having gratitude to the acharya who corrected one's self and set one in the right path, and to the Lord who helped that acharya; and
10. living with those pure devotees who have the qualities of knowledge, detachment and peace.
Sri PBA Swami's Sarartha Deepikai:
Before studying the Dvaya mantra, it is important to know the characteristics of a true Srivaishnava. Sri Pillai Lokacharya shows ten characteristics as essential for Srivaishnavas.
1. Giving up attachments to the root such that they don't come back, to that which are divergent from or conflicting to the main interest which is Sriman Narayana.
2. Taking refuge only with Sriman Narayana and not even having the thought that refuge may be found elsewhere.
3. Without looking at the greatness of the goal seeked, or the fact that they don't have the capability to reach that goal by themselves, or the countless sins that they have accumulated, and thereby feeling dejected, having complete faith that the goal will be attained.
4. With this faith, instead of relaxing that they will worry about the goal whenever it is attained, be like Azhvar "thAvi vaiyam koNda thadanthAmaraikatkE kUvik koLLum kAlam innum kuRukAthO", "mAgavaikuntham kAnbathaRku en manamEgam eNNum", and be constantly concerned about not attaining the goal yet.
5. While eagerly awaiting for the time of reaching His lotus feet and performing service, as long as they are in this world with this body, they should have great interest in His divyadesams ("kaNdiyur arangam meyyam kaccipEr mallai"), in His divine qualities there and spend all their time in His service at those divyadesams.
6. Upon seeing those Srivaishnavas who follow all of the above, they should enjoy them as great beings that are like lotuses blooming in this lowly land.
7. Without going near any other mantras even by mistake, they should be focused on the Thirumantra that explains everything and the Dvaya mantra that details the Thirumantra.
8. Having great devotion to the acharya that explains all of the above through instruction.
9. Having great and endless gratitude to the acharya that gave one who is a nitya samsAri the same goal that is enjoyed by nityasUris (similar to converting iron to gold), and to Him who caused this acharya association.
10. Be associated with a pure bhAgavata who has knowledge, detachment and peace so that one can forver follow the above mentioned steps.